Paralegal certificate programs are a popular option for those with existing degrees who are interested in law, but do not necessarily wish to go to law school. Paralegal certificates are designed to supplement an existing degree by providing the skills and background knowledge you need to join the legal field as a paralegal, legal assistant or other legal professional.
Most paralegal certificate programs can be completed in less than a year at an accredited paralegal school. Programs generally focus on law for a variety of fields, legal terminology, and the day-to-day responsibilities of paralegals.
Explore the paralegal certificate programs available below, and compare programs to see which is the best fit for you.
Paralegal Certificate Programs Enrolling Now
Penn Foster Career School
Career Diplomas and Certificates Your Time and Online.
Want a better job? Looking for a new career? Thinking about starting your own business? Today’s students often don’t have time to attend regularly scheduled classes, but through online education. Penn Foster Career School, one of the world’s largest regionally accredited distance learning career schools, has educated millions of adults through their study-at-home programs.
When students complete their program they are awarded a Career Diploma. Penn Foster Career School offers Career Diplomas in a wide variety of high-demand career fields, particularly in the areas of: business, technology, engineering, health services, education, and the trades.
Career Diploma programs have gained in popularity because they contain a large amount of relevant, real-word applicable information that can be learned in a flexible format. Career Diplomas are ideal for people who are interested in changing careers, but can’t take time away from their current job or family obligations.
Why Many Students Choose Penn Foster Career School for Their Training:
- Materials are available as soon as your enrollment is accepted.
- Students have the flexibility to study online… at a pace that’s right for them.
- There are no classes to attend because students complete all of their studies from the comfort and convenience of their own home.
- Penn Foster offers over 50 Career Diploma programs in some of today’s most in-demand career fields.
- Friendly and helpful support from expert instructors dedicated to each student’s success is just a phone call or an email away.
- We have an extensive online community where students can interact with fellow students, faculty, and alumni. Students can also participate in the hundreds of blogs and academic groups.
- Web access to learning and student services is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Penn Foster Career School’s tuition is among the lowest of all accredited career schools. They offer 0% interest and customized monthly payment plans.
- Books, study guides, learning aids, and instructor support are all included in the student’s tuition.
- Students and graduates have immediate access to Penn Foster Career Services, which include resume writing, interviewing tips, job search techniques, and more.
- Students can earn a Career Diploma in a matter of months.
Penn Foster Career School is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Penn Foster Career School is regionally accredited by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Penn Foster Career School has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
- Penn Foster Career School Campus Online
Benefits of Earning a Paralegal Certificate
Paralegal certificate programs provide the training needed to practice as a paralegal according to a typical paralegal job description. Paralegals may work with attorneys developing court cases, in corporate legal departments ensuring compliance and developing contracts, or in a myriad of other settings. A certificate program can provide the background needed to perform in any of these settings.
The primary benefit of pursuing a paralegal certificate over a degree program is that certificates do not include general education courses, meaning they can be completed in a relatively short amount of time. This allows you to enter the workforce sooner, and reduces your education investment while providing the means to a respectable salary.
Applying to a Paralegal Certificate Program
Most paralegal certificate programs require an existing degree, though some amount of professional experience may pass instead. Applying to a paralegal certificate program usually starts with completing an online application. Many schools require a written essay, a non-refundable admission fee, personal or professional references, and an in-person interview.
Paralegal schools are generally open about their admission requirements, so speak to their representatives for the specifics on each program.
Paralegal Certificate Curriculum
Some of the coursework you may expect to do in a paralegal certificate programs might include:
- Legal Terminology
- Business Law
- Criminal Law
- Tort Law
- Contract Law
Many paralegal certificate programs also require students to complete an internship. Internships provide students with hands-on experience working in a legal environment, and can look good on resumes as you apply to positions.